Built for Sports and Shines Outdoors
The Huami Amazfit Stratos is big, has a touchscreen, 4 physical buttons, a display that works great in bright sunlight as well as a dimly lit room, 3 GPS options, and a variety of sports modes.
The watch face is a 1.34-inch full round transflective MIP display that gets clearer the brighter the light is. It's a great display for the outdoors. You don't have to shade it to see clearly in the sun.
The touchscreen makes it convenient when you can use it but when your hands are wet or dirty or when movement makes it hard to use a touchscreen, you can use the 4 physical buttons instead.
A built-in low-power Sony GNSS chip allows users to choose from three navigation combinations (GPS + Beidou, GPS + GLONASS, GPS + Galileo) for improved positioning speed and trajectory accuracy.
Equipped with BioTracker PPG biological tracking optical sensor and an algorithm developed by Huami, the Stratos 3 offers advanced full-scale heart-rate monitoring that provides a 24-hour high-precision heart-rate monitoring and vibration alerts for when your heart rate reaches a set beats per minute. You can use this precision and vibration alert to stay in the aerobic fat-burning range while you exercise.
The Stratos 3 uses tough Corning Gorilla 3rd generation tempered glass with anti-fingerprint coating for the display; 316L stainless steel buttons; 316L stainless steel and zirconia ceramic bezel; and reinforced plastic bottom case. It is built to be tough.
All the features of the Stratos 3, the built, and a long battery life make it a great choice for outdoor enthusiasts and outdoor sports but it also caters for indoor sports. The watch has 19 sports mode to choose from including running (indoor, outdoor, and trail), walking, hiking, cycling (indoor and outdoor), swimming (pool and open water), tennis, football, fitness, climbing, elliptical, skiing, jump rope, rowing machine, multi-sport, and triathlon.
Some say the Sports performance on Stratos 3 even surpasses that of Garmin sports watches.
Amazfit Stratos 3 has a 14-day battery life on Ultra endurance mode, which maintains functions including 24-hour heart-rate monitoring, notifications, 11 sports modes, and always-on display. On Smart mode, the Stratos has power for up to 7 days with full functionality except continuous GPS.
With continuous GPS, the watch has a runtime of a maximum of 70 hours, which is pretty good compared to the competition (the Garmin Fenix 6 only lasts for 10 hours on GPS mode). However, you can only get 70 hours with heart rate monitor, touch function, and notifications turned off and the GPS recording once every minute.
With heart-rate monitoring, notifications, and GPS recording once per second, you can get about 35 hours of battery life. With the same settings except with GPS recording every 5 seconds the Stratos 3 can go on for 45 hours.
Founded in 2002 in Jyväskylä, which is the hub of sports sciences of Finland with the University and physiology labs, Firstbeat is an advanced performance analytics for stress, recovery and exercise.
It is used by the likes of Garmin, Suunto, Huawei, Xiaomi, Montblanc, and Withings for good reason. Firstbeat have helped millions of people to reach their health and performance potential with science-backed confidence for two decades.
Firstbeat can make a huge impact on the effectiveness of your physical excursions. There are 8 Firstbeat features on the Huami Amazfit Stratos 3:
- Firstbeat automatically detects your VO2max fitness level (a measure of true fitness level) during walking and running activities, using a proprietary method shown to be 95% accurate compared to laboratory measurements.
- Gain insight the amount of work you are doing over time and the accumulated real physiological impact your training activities have on your body
- Training Effect: Aerobic – Get insight on whether your physical activity maintains or improves your fitness level.
- Recovery Time Advisor – Predicts how long it will be before your body is fully recovered and ready for your workout.
- Real-Time Performance Condition – Monitor the onset of fatigue and assess the impact it has on your performance.
- Personalized Training Plans: Cardio – Using a wealth of training knowledge and analytic capabilities, Stratos 3 helps you achieve your fitness and performance goals.
- Real-time Coaching – Ensures your workout is performed safely and effectively.
- Calories Burned – Counts calories burned based on activity intensity and personalized to match your unique physiology
Stratos 3 has 2 GB of storage space, enough for 400 songs of 5 MB each. It also has Bluetooth 4.2 + BLE 5.0 so you can connect to your favorite wireless earbuds.
- Long battery life
- Display that works great in sunglight
- Comes with professional performance analytics
- 3 GPS combination options
- Tough built
- Tendency to accidentally activate apps when using touchscreen
- Slight lag when navigating options
The Huami Stratos 3 is a good looking watch with great functionality at a reasonable price. It uses its own Amazfit OS but it can be used with both Android and iOS devices with no problems. The 2 GB storage is useful for listening to music without having to carry your smartphone. Some of it best features include a screen that gets clearer in bright sun, Firstbeat professional analytics, and the awesome battery life.