Rugged. Waterproof. Protective. Stylish. American
Motorcycling, much like traversing through the many landscapes of the world, isn’t just about the destination – it's about the journey. It's about the feel of the road beneath you, the connection with your machine, and the right gear to make the experience unforgettable. In this same spirit, Danner, an iconic Portland-based brand, has thrown its hat in the ring with the release of the Moto GTX motorcycle boots – their first foray into footwear specifically designed for the motorcycle enthusiasts.
For those familiar with Danner’s legacy, you'll know their boots have been the companions of adventurers for over 90 years. While their models, like the Acadia, have been lovingly adapted by motorcycling aficionados for on-road adventures, the Moto GTX marks a focused and dedicated effort for riders.
Right off the bat, what strikes you about the Moto GTX is its robust 5.5-ounce full-grain leather upper. Ensuring longevity, there's an extra layer of leather at the toe and a medial clutch guard to withstand the rigors of foot shifting. Beyond being durable, these boots also prioritize comfort. The GORE-TEX liner ensures your feet remain dry while allowing them to breathe – crucial for those long rides on the highway.
But what truly makes this boot stand out is its meticulous attention to safety. The D3O foam, an advanced material used by soldiers and professional athletes alike, is subtly integrated into the collar. This foam is a marvel. Lightweight and flexible during a ride, it stiffens upon impact, acting as a guardian for your ankles.
Two variants of the Moto GTX cater to riders' preferences. The Moto GTX, with its slightly curved arch, promises better grip, while the Moto Wedge GTX ensures a firmer stance on your pegs. The non-Wedge version sports an outsole made from Vibram 148 Kletterlift with Megagrip. This combination guarantees traction on both wet and dry surfaces – something every rider knows is invaluable.
Incorporating a handcrafted stitchdown construction, the boots offer a wider platform for increased stability. This method also means many of Danner’s boots can be recrafted, extending their life and value.
A point of pride for Danner is the fact that these boots are made in the USA. It's a testament to their commitment to superior craftsmanship, echoing the same dedication they've shown since 1932. And if, for some reason, you find the boots lacking (though I highly doubt you will), they come with a 365-day warranty.
In conclusion, the Danner Moto GTX motorcycle boots are not just a piece of footwear; they’re an experience, a statement of style, comfort, and unmatched safety. To the riders out there – when the open road calls, answer it with Danner.
- Durable Material: Made from robust 5.5-ounce full-grain leather upper, ensuring the boots withstand long-term use.
- Additional Protection: Features an extra layer of leather at the toe and a medial clutch guard for extra protection against wear from foot shifting.
- Weatherproof: Equipped with GORE-TEX liners which are 100% waterproof, ensuring feet stay dry, while also allowing them to breathe.
- Safety Enhancements: The D3O foam in the collar provides protection for the ankles. It's lightweight and flexible but stiffens upon impact.
- Versatile Options: Available in two variants to cater to riders' preferences – one with a slightly curved arch for better grip and another for a firmer plant on the pegs.
- Superior Grip: The outsole, especially the one made from Vibram 148 Kletterlift with Megagrip, ensures traction on both wet and dry surfaces.
- Recraftable: Handcrafted stitchdown construction means the boots can be recrafted, potentially extending their lifespan.
- American Craftsmanship: Made in the USA, symbolizing Danner's commitment to superior craftsmanship.
- Warranty: Comes with a 365-day warranty, ensuring peace of mind for purchasers.
- Price Point: Priced at $480, these boots might be considered expensive for some potential buyers.
- Weight: At 61 oz per pair, they may be considered heavy for some users, potentially affecting long-term comfort on extended rides.
- Limited Insulation: These boots are non-insulated, which might not make them ideal for extremely cold riding conditions.
- Style Limitation: Available only in brown, which might not cater to everyone's aesthetic preferences.
- Novelty Factor: Being Danner's first dedicated motorcycle boot, there might be hesitations from potential buyers due to lack of long-term user reviews.