Elegant, streamlined e-bike conversion
Ah, the thrill of discovering new gadgets and innovations, especially when they pertain to the world of bicycles. The Boost electric bike conversion kit is an intriguing addition to the e-bike conversion market. Its elegant design, incorporating the majority of the components in a custom rear-hub motor and a bottle cage-like battery pack, makes it an attractive option for those seeking a less cluttered and more streamlined solution.
I must admit, the idea of installing the Boost kit on the back, as opposed to the front like Swytch, had me initially concerned about the complexity of the installation process. Thankfully, with the aid of skilled bike technicians, even the most mechanically-challenged among us can experience the ease of this conversion.
The absence of a screen and the inclusion of torque sensors within the motor not only reduce costs, but also encourage a minimalist approach. The companion app, which allows users to choose between Eco and Boost modes and provides a short speed-boost feature, is a thoughtful touch. With the app's dashboard mode, you can mount your phone on the handlebars to easily monitor speed, distance, and battery level.
As for the battery, the hidden USB-A port is an ingenious addition. It offers the convenience of charging devices or powering USB-compatible lights while on the move.
During my brief test run with the Boost kit on a turbo trainer, I was impressed by the level of assistance provided in Eco mode. It felt sufficient for daily commutes, while the Boost mode seemed perfect for conquering steep hills.
Priced at £695 when installed by a local cycling store or £645 for DIY enthusiasts, the Boost kit is not only an interesting take on e-bike conversions, but also a promising investment. It's definitely something I look forward to experiencing in a more extended, real-world scenario. The Boost electric bike conversion kit offers a refreshing blend of elegance, simplicity, and practicality, appealing to cyclists who seek to electrify their journeys without compromising on aesthetics or function.
As with any product, the Boost electric bike conversion kit comes with its own set of pros and cons. Here's a breakdown of both:
- Elegant design: The integration of necessary components in a custom rear-hub motor and the bottle cage-like battery pack results in a more streamlined and visually appealing solution compared to some other e-bike conversion kits.
- Easy installation: Although the initial setup might be more intensive than some front-wheel options, once the cassette and chain are in place, it's fairly simple to complete the installation.
- Minimalist approach: The absence of a screen and the inclusion of torque sensors within the motor allow for a less cluttered setup and reduced costs.
- Companion app: The app provides users with the ability to switch between Eco and Boost modes, access a short speed-boost feature, and monitor essential ride data.
- Versatile battery: The hidden USB-A port on the battery enables riders to charge devices or power USB-compatible lights during their ride.
- Two power modes: Eco mode offers sufficient assistance for daily commutes, while Boost mode provides extra power for tackling steep hills.
- Installation complexity: Compared to some front-wheel kits, the initial installation might be more time-consuming and complex, especially for individuals who are not mechanically inclined.
- Screenless setup: Some users might miss having a dedicated screen to display ride data, although the companion app can be used with a phone mounted on the handlebars.
- Price: At £695 for installation by a local cycling store or £645 for DIY enthusiasts, the Boost kit might be considered expensive for some individuals, especially when compared to other e-bike conversion kits on the market.
- Limited real-world testing: As the product is relatively new, long-term performance and durability are yet to be fully established.
Overall, the Boost electric bike conversion kit has several appealing features, making it an attractive option for those seeking an elegant and user-friendly solution. However, potential buyers should consider the installation process, screenless setup, and price to determine if this product is the right fit for them.