Robust, Precise, Adjustable, Powerful, Fast
Ah, the Whyte T-140 RS 29er. Now there's a piece of machinery that would light a fire in the heart of any thrill-seeker. It's an embodiment of a sweet contradiction, something that straddles the line between brute strength and balletic grace, raw power and refined precision. I love it.
The first thing that strikes you about the T-140 RS 29er is its sheer ruggedness. With a 6061 aluminium SCR frameset – the kind of alloy that's lightweight yet tough enough to bear the brunt of the rockiest terrains – this bike isn't just built to last. It's practically bulletproof, and with a four-year frame warranty and lifetime bearing warranty, Whyte's certainly put their money where their mouth is.
But there's a subtle artistry amidst all this muscle. The Shape.It link offers a switchable geometry that allows you to tweak the bike's character at will. Want to ease off the intensity and just enjoy a leisurely ride? Keep it at the stock high setting. But if you're in the mood for an adrenaline-charged rush, just reduce the bottom bracket height by 8mm, slacken the head angle out by 0.7º, and you've got yourself a ride that's lean, mean, and eager for action.
Yet, as much as the T-140 RS 29er is a beast, it's also a beauty. The Matt Diesel Light Blue/Slate colour scheme is an understated yet alluring choice that evokes the cool serenity of a clear mountain lake. And it’s not just about the looks, it’s also about the ride quality. The tubeless-ready 29in wheels aren’t just big, they are smooth-rolling, offering top performance and, combined with Maxxis tyres, can easily tame roots, rocks, and anything else you encounter on the trail.
And the mechanics? It's nothing short of poetry in motion. The SRAM GX Eagle 12 speed mechanical transmission ensures smooth and consistently precise shifting, while the SRAM Guide G2 R hydraulic disc brakes bring a reliable stopping power that’s in line with the bike’s top-tier speed capabilities.
The Fox Float 34 Performance Elite suspension fork and custom-tuned Fox DPS Performance Elite Evol LV rear shock also play a crucial role, affording a mix of rough terrain control and pedalling efficiency. This was fine-tuned by a two-time national Enduro champion, no less, so you know you're getting a ride that’s tested and proven on the racing circuit.
So, if you're someone who thrives on the thrill of adventure, the Whyte T-140 RS 29er Full Suspension Trail Bike isn’t just a good choice, it’s an excellent one. This is more than just a bike – it’s a ticket to a world of exhilarating freedom, whether you’re on a long epic journey or simply relishing in the thrill of tackling tricky trails. It's a testament to the fact that power and precision, toughness and tact, can coexist in one delightful, dynamic package. That, my friends, is what makes this bike so irresistibly good.
- High-Quality Suspension System: The bike's 140mm front and 135mm rear suspension travel offer impressive control on rough terrains, making for a smoother ride.
- Large Wheels: With 29in wheels, the bike can roll over obstacles more easily, providing higher speeds and a smoother ride.
- Versatile Transmission: The SRAM GX Eagle 12-speed mechanical transmission ensures precise shifting, accommodating different riding styles and terrains.
- Robust Braking System: The SRAM Guide G2 R hydraulic disc brakes provide excellent stopping power, which is vital for safety and control, especially when riding at high speeds.
- Highly Durable: The bike is made from 6061 aluminium, which is known for its strength and durability. It comes with a four-year frame warranty and a lifetime bearing warranty.
- Adjustable Geometry: The Shape.It link allows you to adjust the geometry of the bike to suit your riding preferences or to accommodate different trail conditions.
- Price: With a price tag of £4,099, the T-140 RS 29er might be considered expensive, particularly for novice riders or those on a budget.
- Weight: Aluminium, while strong and durable, is heavier than carbon fiber. This might make the bike less desirable for those who prioritize lightweight bikes for easier transportation and handling.
- Lack of Pedals: The bike does not come with pedals, meaning you will have to purchase these separately.
- Potentially Over-specced for Beginners: The T-140 RS 29er is loaded with features that may be more than what a beginner rider needs. Its advanced features and high performance may not be fully utilized by inexperienced riders.
- Limited Colour Options: The bike is only available in one colour – Matt Diesel Light Blue/Slate. If you're keen on personalization or prefer a different color, your options are limited with this model.