For horizontal parking, vertical storage, and repairs
The Rak One is a versatile and innovative bike stand designed by Houston-based startup Rakstand. It serves as a horizontal floor stand, a vertical wall mount, and a repair stand, offering a space-saving solution for cyclists. The device consists of a tubular metal base and a hinged tubular metal arm that can be adjusted to any point and angle as needed.
For horizontal parking, the base is placed flat on the floor, and the arm is set at a 90-degree angle, allowing the bike's front wheel to be rolled in between the base and arm tubes. For vertical storage, the Rak One is hung on a wall-mounted bracket, and the arm is locked at a downward angle so that the bike can be rolled in vertically. When used as a repair stand, the Rak One is mounted on the wall, with the arm locked straight out at a 180-degree angle, an included seat post clamp installed on the end of the arm, and a tool tray snapped on further back.
Currently, the Rak One can hold bikes weighing up to 55 lb (25 kg) with tires no wider than three inches. There are plans for future versions to accommodate heavier and wider-tired bikes. The Rak One is available for a pledge of $129 on Kickstarter, with a planned retail price of $179. The stand is designed for the adventurous cyclist, offering a cost-effective, easy-to-use, and versatile solution for bike storage and maintenance.
Pros of the Rak One:
- Versatility: The Rak One serves as a horizontal floor stand, a vertical wall mount, and a repair stand, providing multiple functions in one device.
- Space-saving: Its ability to transform into different types of stands saves valuable space and reduces the need for multiple, separate stands.
- Adjustable: The hinged tubular metal arm can be locked at any point and angle, making it adaptable to various bike sizes and storage situations.
- Easy to use: The Rak One is designed to be user-friendly, allowing cyclists to quickly switch between stand functions.
- Sturdy construction: The tubular metal base and arm provide a robust and stable support for bikes weighing up to 55 lb (25 kg) and with tires up to three inches wide.
- Future improvements: Plans for future versions to accommodate heavier bikes and wider tires indicate that the product will continue to evolve and improve.
Cons of the Rak One:
- Weight and tire size limitations: The current version can only support bikes up to 55 lb (25 kg) and tires no wider than three inches, potentially limiting its use for heavier or larger bikes.
- Price: With a planned retail price of $179, the Rak One may be considered expensive for some users.
- Availability: The product is currently available through Kickstarter, which means that there might be potential risks or delays in production and delivery.
- Wall-mounting: Users may need to install a wall bracket to use the Rak One for vertical storage or as a repair stand, which could be a minor inconvenience for those who are not comfortable with DIY tasks.
- Compatibility: Although the Rak One is designed for versatility, there may still be certain bike models or configurations that it may not accommodate perfectly.