Versatile, durable, Magnacut, stylish, functional
As an avid explorer and lover of the great outdoors, I have to say that the Ontario Knife Co SPL Pack Knife is a fantastic addition to one's gear repertoire. The Sport Leisure designation couldn't be more fitting, as this knife is the perfect blend of functionality, durability, and user-friendly design.
Let's start with the Magnacut blade material. This choice of steel is not only a conversation starter but also offers excellent corrosion resistance and edge retention, ensuring your knife stays sharp and ready for action in any environment.
The versatile blade shape is suitable for a wide range of activities, from slicing fruits for a trailside snack to preparing kindling for the campfire. Its full flat grind and full tang construction give it the ability to handle light chopping duties without breaking a sweat.
When it comes to the handle, the G10 material is comfortable, albeit a bit slim. However, its contours provide a secure grip, making it easy to maneuver in various tasks. The sheath, with its snap-lock feature, ensures that the knife stays secure, though the belt loops could use a little more flexibility in terms of adjustability.
What truly impressed me was the knife's ability to generate sparks with a ferro rod or fire steel. This feature adds another layer of functionality to an already versatile tool, making it even more appealing for outdoor enthusiasts.
Although the price tag of $170 might raise a few eyebrows, I believe that the quality materials and craftsmanship justify the investment. With some minor improvements to the sheath and sharpening of the blade, the SPL has the potential to become the go-to camp knife for many adventurers.
In conclusion, the Ontario SPL Pack Knife is a reliable, versatile, and stylish tool for outdoor enthusiasts. With its unique Magnacut steel and vibrant high-viz coloration, this knife is not only functional but also makes a bold statement. It's a tool that I would gladly bring on my many adventures, knowing that it's up to the task of conquering the great outdoors.
Pros of the Ontario SPL Pack Knife:
- Magnacut mystique: The use of Magnacut steel gives the knife excellent corrosion resistance, edge retention, and a unique appeal.
- Excellent firecraft potential: The knife's ability to generate sparks with a ferro rod or fire steel adds to its versatility in outdoor situations.
- Respectable price: While $170 may seem steep, the quality materials and craftsmanship justify the investment.
- Versatile blade shape: The drop point design with a full flat grind allows for good slicing, food prep, and light chopping tasks.
- Full tang construction: This feature provides durability and sturdiness, making it suitable for various tasks in the outdoors.
Cons of the Ontario Knife Pack Knife:
- Narrow/nonadjustable belt loops: The belt loops on the sheath could use more flexibility for better adjustability and a more secure fit.
- Thick-ish edge: The edge of the blade may be thicker than desired, which could affect its sharpness and cutting performance. Proper sharpening can resolve this issue.
- Thin-ish handle: The G10 handle, while comfortable, might be too slim for some users, especially during prolonged or more demanding tasks.