High-performance, tech-rich, sleek, customizable, exhilarating
Listen, the 2023 Indian FTR R Carbon is a machine, an engineering marvel, that makes no apologies for what it is—a high-octane, adrenaline-pumping piece of Americana on two wheels. Conceived from the iconic heritage of flat track racing, it looks like it's doing 100 miles an hour even when parked. This motorcycle is to flat track what a Stratocaster is to rock ‘n' roll—timeless, iconic, American.
What's the first thing you notice? The aesthetics, of course. A chiseled, muscular profile that screams sophistication and attitude. Carbon fiber components elevate the game, making sure the FTR R Carbon is as eye-catching as it is functional. But once you've stopped ogling, it's time to get on the saddle. It's stitched with premium quality, practically begging you to engage in a long-term relationship. Consider this your very own Swiss Army Knife of the moto world, versatile and tailor-made to meet whatever two-wheeled thrills you're after.
Twist that throttle and feel the liquid-cooled American V-twin come to life, giving you 120 horsepower and 87 ft-lbs of torque that smoothly builds to a 9000 rpm redline. The torque curve? As fat as it is flat, and I mean that in the best way possible. Don't take it from me; let the exhilaration of the open road be the judge.
Modern amenities? Check. It comes loaded with a first-in-the-industry 4-inch touchscreen powered by RIDE COMMAND. Whether you're navigating through city streets or lost on a highway in the middle of nowhere, it's got you covered. Bluetooth tethering, customizable interfaces, and intuitive search features offer an unintrusive but comprehensive tech package.
Now, it's not just about speed and looks; it's about confidence. Three ride modes—Sport, Standard, Rain—allow you to toggle your thrill factor while lean angle-sensitive stability control and ABS keep you grounded in varying conditions. Traction control, cornering pre-control, and wheelie mitigation all add to the FTR R Carbon's predictability. But if you're looking to unleash your inner demon, you can turn these aids off at your own discretion.
The suspension, with fully adjustable Öhlins on both ends, lets you dial in your ride, making it as pliant or as stiff as you like. Teamed with Metzeler Sportec rubber that sticks to the road like a desperate lover, and 17-inch cast wheels that flick side-to-side like Fred Astaire, the FTR R Carbon offers a riding position that's been optimized for real-world domination.
Don't let the stopping power go unnoticed either. Brembo 4-piston mono-block calipers clutching onto dual 320mm rotors offer incredibly controlled braking. Stoppies? Optional. And only two fingers away, if that's your kind of poetry.
Look, motorcycles are about the experience, a mediation between man, machine, and the open road. And in this respect, the 2023 Indian FTR R Carbon is an eloquent orator, weaving a story that combines heritage, performance, and modern functionality into a compelling narrative of what it means to ride. The only way to truly get it is to get on it. So saddle up, twist that throttle, and become part of the story.
- High Performance Engine: With a liquid-cooled V-twin offering 120 horsepower and 87 ft-lbs of torque, the FTR R Carbon provides a broad and exhilarating torque curve that makes for a thrilling ride.
- Premium Aesthetics: Carbon fiber components and a muscular design make this bike as eye-catching as it is functional.
- Rider-Focused Tech: The 4-inch touchscreen powered by RIDE COMMAND is an industry-first, providing everything from navigation to customizable interfaces, making tech integration seamless and intuitive.
- Adjustable Riding Experience: With three different ride modes and fully adjustable Öhlins suspension, riders can tailor the bike's behavior to match their preferences and road conditions.
- Cutting-Edge Safety Features: The bike comes loaded with Lean Angle Sensitive Stability Control, ABS, and other safety features like cornering pre-control and wheelie mitigation, which are especially helpful for less experienced riders.
- Excellent Stopping Power: Brembo 4-piston mono-block calipers and dual 320mm rotors provide confident and controlled stopping, adding to the overall safety and performance of the bike.
- Versatility: The bike is described as the “Swiss Army Knife” of motorcycles, suitable for various riding conditions and easily customizable with Genuine Factory Accessories.
- Quality Build: Attention to detail like a premium stitched seat and unmatched fit and finish indicate a bike built to a high standard.
- Price Point: Starting at $17,249, this is not a bike for budget-conscious consumers.
- Limited Fuel Capacity: With a fuel tank holding just 3.4 gallons, long-distance rides will require frequent stops for refueling.
- Weight: At a dry weight of 486 lbs, it might be a bit heavy for some riders, affecting maneuverability to some extent.
- Limited Ground Clearance: With just 6.5 inches of ground clearance, this bike may not be the best choice for off-road or uneven terrain.
- Learning Curve: With all its tech features and customization options, there may be a learning curve for riders who are new to such advanced systems.
- Seat Height: At a seat height of 30.7 inches, shorter riders might find this bike a bit challenging to manage.
Overall, the 2023 Indian FTR R Carbon offers an exhilarating and customizable riding experience packed with modern amenities. It targets riders who are looking for a high-performance, technologically advanced machine and are willing to pay a premium for it. However, it may not be the most practical option for long-distance touring or for riders looking for a budget-friendly, simple machine.