Powerful, versatile e-MTB for adventurers
Well, my friends, the beauty of a well-crafted machine lies not just in its aesthetic appeal, but also in the thrill of the ride, the primal joy of exploration, and the unspoken camaraderie it fosters among those who venture into the wild. As I turn my gaze upon the Canyon Torque:ON range, I'm reminded of this beauty in all its tangible and intangible aspects.
Consider the embodiment of pure, unhindered mobility – no shuttles needed, no strings attached. Each model of the Torque:ON, from the base 7 to the high-end Roczen, is primed for adventure with a generous 175mm of rear travel and an equally competent 180mm fork. These are truly hard-charging machines that can dance gracefully on trail beds and scream through gnarly descents with equal aplomb.
A special nod to the Shimano Steps EP8 Motor that sits at the heart of each Torque:ON, lending a hushed yet potent force to your pedal strokes. A whisper in the wind that can catapult you up the steepest climbs and have you raring for another run at that seemingly insurmountable downhill. I also appreciate the thoughtfulness in including a handy USB-C port, ensuring your devices are just as juiced up as you are.
When it comes to suspension, the Triple Phase Suspension on the Torque:ON 7 is a masterstroke. With a small-bump response for those tricky technical patches, a stable mid-stroke for maintaining momentum, and a bottomless feel on big hits, it provides the perfect balance of comfort and control.
As we scale up the range, the CF 8 and CF 9 models, with their True Gravity Frames, are sculpted for resilience and style. The Fox 38 forks and Fox X2 shocks on these models are ripe for the toughest trails you can find, their performance undeterred by rough terrain and relentless descents. The Canyon-developed 720 Wh battery is another commendable innovation, promising extended ride times and amplified stoke factor.
And then we have the pièce de résistance – the Torque:ON CF Roczen. With its Ken Roczen Signature Artwork, it's the motocross superstar of the e-MTB world. The Roczen showcases a Rock Shox Zeb Ultimate RC2 fork and a Rock Shox Super Deluxe Coil Ultimate shock, both of which ooze refinement and performance in equal measure. The SRAM X01 Eagle AXS drivetrain is the cherry on top, offering effortless shifting and a wireless, clutter-free experience.
In sum, the Canyon Torque:ON range is a testament to the unbridled potential of e-MTBs, demonstrating how a perfect blend of design, technology, and functionality can transport you to the edge of your known trails and beyond. These bikes are more than just pieces of machinery, they're keys to unlock uncharted territories and, more importantly, untapped facets of yourself. So, gear up, hop on, and let's wander into the wild.
- Versatility and Power: With models boasting 175mm to 180mm of travel, the Torque:ON series is designed to tackle diverse terrains, from jumps to rough trails. The Shimano Steps EP8 motor adds significant power to your pedal strokes, making uphill rides and steep climbs a breeze.
- Top-notch Suspension: The bikes are equipped with high-quality suspension systems, like the RockShox Zeb or Fox 38 forks and the Super Deluxe Coil Ultimate or Fox X2 shocks. These suspension systems can provide a smooth, comfortable ride even on the most challenging trails.
- Sturdy and Durable Construction: The bikes' frames are robust, designed to withstand intense use and to absorb the impacts from jumps and rough trails. The use of carbon in some models ensures a lightweight yet extremely durable frame.
- High-quality Drivetrains: The bikes come with high-quality drivetrains from Shimano and SRAM, ensuring reliable and smooth shifting.
- Extra Features: The integrated USB-C jack for charging devices, the innovative hydration solution with an integrated water bottle, and the integrated display unit cable for a cleaner look are nice touches that enhance the overall riding experience.
- Weight: While e-bikes generally tend to be heavier due to the inclusion of motors and batteries, the Torque:ON models weigh in around 23-24kg, which may be quite heavy for some riders.
- Price: The price tag for these bikes is quite steep, starting at around $5,399.00 and going up to $8,199.00. This may be out of reach for many riders, especially those just starting out in e-MTB riding.
- Battery Life: While the bikes feature sizable batteries (720Wh and 900Wh options), frequent or long-distance riders may find themselves needing to recharge often, especially when using the higher assist modes.
- Lack of Traditional Water Bottle Placement: While the innovative hydration solution is a pro, for some riders who prefer traditional water bottle placements, this could be a drawback.
Remember, the pros and cons may vary depending on your individual preferences, riding style, and intended use for the bike. Always try to test ride a bike before making a decision to ensure it fits your needs and is comfortable for you.