Comfortable, Insulated, Self-inflating, Versatile, Durable
Imagine finding yourself on the open road, where every stop is a potential adventure and every destination holds a story waiting to be told. In this realm of exploration, the Exped MegaMat Auto becomes more than just a sleeping mat; it's your ticket to turning any vehicle space into a cozy, personal haven.
Crafted for the wanderer at heart, this mat is tailored to fit snugly in a variety of mid-sized trucks, compact SUVs, wagons, and yes, even the sleek confines of a Tesla, transforming the back of your vehicle into a restful retreat. It boasts a generous 4 inches of open-cell polyurethane foam, offering not just support, but the kind of warmth that keeps the cold at bay, even when the world outside dips to a frigid -40 degrees Fahrenheit. The R-value of 8.1 isn't just a number; it's a bastion against the cold, ensuring that the heat your body generates stays right where it should — with you.
The mat's 3-D construction with vertical sidewalls maximizes your sleeping area, emulating the familiar comfort of your own bed, while the asymmetrical design accommodates the unavoidable wheel wells, ensuring every inch is utilized for your rest. And speaking of rest, the surface is a soft, brushed, stretch tricot nylon — a material that cradles you in comfort so luxurious, it might just make the stars above a little envious.
Self-inflating by nature, the MegaMat Auto simplifies your setup. Just open the inflate valve and watch as it draws breath, coming to life beneath you. A Mini Pump is included, a courteous nod to your preference, allowing you to finesse the firmness to your liking. And should the need arise to adjust the firmness as night deepens, the separate one-way inflate and deflate valves make it a hassle-free affair.
The beauty of adventure is in its unpredictability, but that doesn't mean your mat should follow suit. Durability is woven into its fabric, resistant to the wear and tear of camping life. And for those rare moments of mishap, a repair kit stands ready, alongside a stuff sack that makes packing away as easy as rolling off a log — even if it's a “messy roll.”
This mat isn't just an item you pack; it's a companion that promises warmth, comfort, and the reassurance that wherever you park, you're home. For those of us who view the world through a windshield and find solace in the hum of the road, the Exped MegaMat Auto isn't just a piece of equipment — it's a fundamental part of our travel narrative, as essential as the tales we gather along the way.
- Versatility: Fits a variety of vehicles including mid-size trucks, compact SUVs, wagons, and Tesla models, making it a versatile choice for many adventurers.
- Comfort: Features 4 inches of open-cell foam and a soft, stretch tricot nylon surface, ensuring a cradling comfort akin to your bed at home.
- Warmth: With an R-value of 8.1, it retains body heat effectively, providing insulation even at temperatures as low as -40 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Self-inflating: The mat is self-inflating for ease of use, and comes with a mini pump for firmness adjustments.
- Ease of Use: Separate inflate and deflate valves allow for easy adjustment of firmness and quick deflation.
- Durability: Constructed to withstand the rigors of camping abuse without leaking.
- Compact Storage: Packs down to a manageable size for easy stowage and transport.
- Additional Features: Includes useful accessories such as a repair kit and a SideWinder stuff sack.
- Size When Packed: Although it packs down, it may still be bulky for some users, especially when space is a premium.
- Weight: At 136 ounces, it's on the heavier side, which might not be ideal for those looking to minimize their load.
- Price: High-quality materials and features may come at a higher cost compared to standard sleeping mats.
- Wheel Well Cutouts: While they aid in fitting the mat in the vehicle, they can also reduce the usable sleeping area for some vehicle types.
- Inflation Time: Self-inflation is convenient, but it can be time-consuming compared to an instant-inflate mat, and might require additional pumping for desired firmness.